Image Map

Sunday, February 22, 2015

*Recipe* Broccoli Bacon Salad


This is one of those recipes that I've eaten for a long time, but for some reason this last time when I was back in Saskatchewan, mom made it and I couldn't get enough.  I tried it out yesterday and made it just like mom's but there is lots of room for substitutes and add ins I am sure.  Enjoy and let me know if you come up with any add ins to make it even better!

Ingredients

-3 heads of broccoli
-1 small red onion, diced
-1.5 cups green grapes, halved.  I prefer grapes but you could also use 1 cup raisins/dried cranberries
-1 cup sunflower seeds (I used a mix sunflower and pumpkin seeds)
-1 package bacon (or 1-2 cups of Real Bacon Bits)
-1 cup Mayonaise (I would suggest real mayo, not Miracle Whip)
-1/4 white sugar
-4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (any kind of vinegar would work just fine)
-1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

-Cook the bacon in the oven or a pan (I really prefer the oven, SO much easier) until crispy.
-Meanwhile, wash and cut stems off broccoli and chop into bite sized pieces.


-Add broccoli, grapes, sunflower seeds and onion in large bowl.  At this point it is probably time for a glass of wine.



-Chop bacon into bite sized pieces and add to bowl.  Or just dump in the Real Bacon Bits.  Set aside.


-Whisk together Mayo, sugar and red wine vinegar.  Pour dressing over salad, add cheddar cheese  and mix thoroughly.


-Let rest in fridge for at least 3-4 hours.  Overnight is fine as well as the salad tastes better when the ingredients have marinated.  That's it!  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment