Image Map

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Dry Shampoo and the Ones That I Love

Every girl has that one go-to beauty product that she couldn't live with out.  Besides Mascara, I would have to say that mine is dry shampoo.  I started using it a couple years ago now, and it has simplified my life and my morning routine so much.  There is no denying it, I am a greasy girl.  I have fine, thin hair that gets shiny and weighed down so quickly from just my natural oils as well as basically any styling products that I put in it. I have had to shower and wash my hair every day since I was about 13 and since I have found this little miracle I no longer always have to do that!



So, the basics...  reviews.com was nice enough to let me use their graphic about how to use any dry shampoo.  It really matters!  


It is super important to not put too much on, or it will get tacky and most of them will make it look like your hair is grey or white.  If that does happen, it works best to work it through with your fingers.    Also, do not put dry shampoo on wet hair.  If you have showered and not washed your hair but it still got wet, make sure to dry it until it is totally dry.  I usually shower with a shower cap then blow dry the areas that still got damp and then apply the dry shampoo.

I found this awesome list the other day at Reviews.com that gives some of the best ones from their testing, as well as the best kind for your hair type, since I know not all of you have horrible, thin, fine hair!  I mostly agree with their list, and there are even a couple I haven't tried (I have tried at least 25 different ones!)

Not all dry shampoos are created equal.  Like I said, I have tried a ton, and some just do not work on my hair type, either making it seem greasier, heavy or really tacky.  BUT, I have found some that are amazing and I would like to share those with you.

My absolute favorite is Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo.  This is pricey, but luckily I got a ton in my beauty boxes for a while, so it is for special days!  It smells amazing, but not overbearing, just a very natural smell, it also makes my hair feel cleaner and softer than if I had just shampooed.  I haven't tried it but I bet I could go at least three days using this one.  Really, to me there is no comparison.   It is about $22 at places like Sephora.



My drug store, and day to day go to is Batiste Dry Shampoo.  There are several different versions of this brand, and they are all good, just different scents and tints.  I prefer the Hint of Blonde versions because it doesn't give me that white tinge at the roots.  It also has a light scent.   It gets me through the day but I would not be able to go any longer than one day. I can get this for $6-8 a bottle at places like Target and Marshalls.

Here are a few of my other favorites.  You will see me and the folks over at reviews.com agree on a few, and I do plan on trying the ones they recommended that I haven't tried!

Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk- I got this one in my Birchbox a few times, and I made sure that it was always one of my samples when I would build my own box at the Birchbox store in NYC.  Like the Living Proof, it is very light and doesn't weight my hair down.  It is also mattifying for the day, but not enough to make my hair look dull.  My main complaint with this one is that it blasts so hard out of the can I feel like I might take off into space, which makes it feel like I am using way more than I need.  It's about $20 a bottle.



Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Dry Shampoo- This is my runner up if my Batiste is sold out or if it happens to be on sale.  I find it doesn't last quite as long as the Batiste but is super light and has a refreshing scent.  A can also seems to last a really long time and only costs around $8 so it is a great value for your buck.  It can be found at most drug stores.



Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo- Another favorite that is a little more expensive, it is pretty similar to the Klorane.  It is very light and doesn't leave my hair tacky or dull at all.  It is around $15 most places.


Beyond The Zone Rock On Dry Shampoo for Light Hair- This is a product that I used to get at  Sally Beauty and it was really top notch, and I loved it because it didn't leave any residue.  Sadly though, I have heard that the formula has changed and it is no longer as good so I am afraid to buy it now (I really should though, because Ireally did like it, and maybe it's not that bad, I'll keep you updated!).   I must say though, that Sally has some other Dry Shampoos that I haven't tried, but plan on doing so because I have always had really good luck with their products!  This is about $8 at Sally Beauty.


R+Co Death Valley Dry Shampoo- Another higher end one that I have only gotten a couple sample size of, but if you are willing to spend the $29 a can, I recommend it... it is right up there with the Living Proof one for sure.  And it smells amazing!


Got2b Rockin' It Encore Fresh Dry Shampoo- Another great drugstore brand, This isn't my first choice, but I did like it when I tried it, especially compared to most of the bigger name drugstore brands which I find don't work at all.  I would definitely use this in a pinch and be happy with it.
There are also some recipes out there for DIY dry shampoo... I have never tried any, but here are a couple recipes.  Give them a try and let me know how they work!

Oatmeal and Baking Soda Dry Shampoo- mix one cup of each and keep it in a container in your bathroom.  When you need a refresh, work some into your roots and then brush it out!

Cornstarch- just work some cornstarch through your hair and then brush out.  This is supposed to be one of the best ones!  You can also add a couple drops of lavender oil into the cornstarch for a nice scent.


Everyone's hair is different, and there are some great dry shampoos out there that I didn't mention that might work awesome on your hair, so if you want to be able to stop washing your hair as much, try some different ones out!  Most of the most expensive ones come in cheaper, smaller sample bottles and if you try one you don't like, give it to a friend because they might love it!  Also, don't forget, the less that you wash your hair, eventually, the less you will have to!

Thanks to reviews.com for their awesome article,for their graphics as well as giving me some more product ideas to try!


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment