Image Map

Sunday, July 19, 2020

*recipe* Alabama Fire Crackers



I don't know where I saw this recipe, but I knew it was one that I would love. They are salty, spicy and a little bit greasy (just like me!) I have made this so many times now that I have tweaked it a bit by changing up the traditional Saltines with a mix of Saltines, Ritz (they really absorb the flavor well) and even Cheez-its. I've stuck mostly to the original recipe as far as the spices; they just work! Make sure you marinate over night and flip the bag as often as you can to make sure all the crackers are coated. Simple, maybe not the healthiest but man, these things are addicting!

 Ingredients

-2 cups olive oil (I use 1 cup light tasting EVO and 1 cup veg or   canola oil)
-1/2 tsp onion powder
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1 tsp pepper
-2 (1oz) packs Ranch dressing mix
-3 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes (sounds like a lot but its not)
-1 (16 oz) pack of saltine crackers (you can use your favorite   crackers, Ritz work great, Cheez-its if you want extra flavor)

Directions

-Add all the ingredients except the crackers to a gallon Ziplock bag, kneed or shake bag to combine all the ingredients. 



 -Place all the crackers in the bag (regardless of the crackers you use, the bag should be almost full but close easily) and turn bag over until all crackers are coated with mixture. 


-Let bag sit overnight, turning over as often as you can. 


-Preheat oven to 250F and lay crackers on a baking sheet (I use a wire rack to put them on, on the baking sheet, they get crispier and bake faster). Bake until golden brown or oil is absorbed, about 20 minutes. If you want you can take them out and stir them up so they bake more evenly.  I also do mine in a couple batches.  


-Place into a new Ziplock to keep them fresh and enjoy.  They won't last long! 



No comments:

Post a Comment