Image Map

Sunday, April 21, 2019

My Spring Decorating Tips

Happy Easter everyone! After my post about my Christmas decorations, I had some inquiries about where I get all of my decorations.  I've actually been collecting my decorations that are here for about 6 years, since I moved to the US.  This is probably why we always had soooo much stuff to move when we were on the road.  I always had a pretty good collection wherever we were traveling as well as here when we got the house.  This doesn't include probably 10 years of stuff that is in Saskatchewan, waiting to come down here and get thrown into the mix.  
I guess my main "secret" for buying decorations is Shop after the holidays! People get excited about going to Walmart and getting a 75% off bag of candy after halloween, but I am scouring the stores for  deals on decorations and home decor.  You bet that tomorrow I will be out first thing in the morning looking to get the best Easter decorations for less than half the price of what they were on Friday. Some of my favorite "post Holiday sale" stores are:
Kohls
Michaels
Target
Walmart (but in recent years they have less and less for a shorter time)
Pier One 
CVS
Walgreens
JC Penney
Hallmark
Zulily
here in Florida we also have Steinmart.

Another trick is don't be a snob about where you buy stuff.  While I am a bit picky about brands when it comes to food, I don't discriminate when it comes to off brand or store brand when it comes to much else.  Check out all the Dollar Stores in your area.  Here we have about four different ones and you can find some great, high quality looking items at all the stores.  

Another item, a favorite in all my seasonal decorating are florals and stems.  "Fake" flowers and plants are so beautiful now and places like Hobby Lobby, Michael's and Joanne's have aisles and aisles of more colors and types than you could ever imagine.  A lot of them will also be seasonal items and will be cheaper after the holidays, but, year round, if you watch for sales and coupons, you can usually get 50% off most every couple months.  You can also repurpose some of the florals for different occasions.  The red from your Christmas florals work great at Valentines day, and white is universal for Christmas, spring/Easter and even 4th of July/ Canada Day.  

I also watch clearance sections (especially at places like Michaels) for items that have been damaged a bit in shipping or just from normal wear and tear in the store.  The "Welcome Bunny" on the wreath on my door had a bit of a broken arm but was easily glued and the girl bunny on my blanket ladder has a bum foot and she doesn't stand right.I stuck a coaster under her foot for now, but she can be easily fixed as well. I paid less than half price for both of these items. 

Those are some of my favorite tips.  If you have anymore good ones for me, or if you have any more stores that you frequent for "day after" sales, please let me know below! 










Cutest teapot ever.  I got this one from Steinmart with my 20% off birthday coupon. 




Sasafras mats are fantastic too, I have one for every season and occasion and usually pay about $8 for each insert.








The table runner is from Kohls, post Easter a few years ago. 



I got these beautiful bunny platter and bowl and Marshalls after Easter last year.


This cloche is from Target clearance (for $5) and can be used for every single occasion.


I got this crate at a garage sale, and the flowers and bunny were all 50% off at Michaels. 


The HELLO pillow is from Target Dollar Spot. 




You can also use your pets to decorate haha.


This adorable tray is from Steinmart.  I plan on going back to get more of the set this week. 




1 comment:

  1. I like your Spring decor. It is very pretty and festive.

    ReplyDelete