Image Map

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

*Recipe* Singapore Noodles

I forget where I first had Singapore Noodles... I think it might have been in North Battleford, SK about  9 years.  And after that first time, I was hooked.  Any chance I get, I order these when we are out but I have never actually tried to make them, thinking it would be difficult.  But, I finally got tired of not being able to find these ANYWHERE near the house here in Florida (I should say, no where that delivers on GrubHub or DoorDash).  So, I decided to give it a try and it was not difficult at all. And it turned out exactly like from a restaurant so I was super excited!  I think one of the tricks is to not over cook the rice noodles, and to use the right ones to begin with.  They are Vermicelli Rice noodles and I had to get mine on Amazon here.  Also, use whatever protein you like.  I used shrimp and a precooked pork belly from Trader Joe's, but you can use chicken, or ground meat, tofu to make it vegetarian,  whatever you like.  Other than that, easy peasy and Delicious!



Ingredients

  • 4 oz (110g) dried rice noodles
  • (optional) chopped cilantro for garnish


sauce

  • 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp pepper


stirfry

  • 2 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 lb shrimp, pealed and deveined
  • 1/2 ground meat or other protein
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp minced ginger
  • 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced


Directions

  • Place Vermicelli noodles in large bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak according to package directions , drain and set aside. 
  • Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
  • Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in large, nonstick skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add the eggs, stir to scramble the eggs until just cooked through, transfer to plate. 
  • Add the remaining 1/2 tbsp oil to skillet. Add ground pork or whatever other meat you are using and cook through. Transfer to plate with the eggs. 
  • Add the remaining oil, onion, garlic and ginger. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes, until the onion starts to get soft. Add the shrimp and bell pepper.  Cook and stir until shrimp turns white. 
  • Add the noodles, sauce mixture and meat and eggs. Toss with tongs to mix everything together.  Serve immediately. 


thanks to Omnivore's Cookbook for the recipe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment