Image Map

Thursday, January 10, 2019

*Recipe* Bacon & Cheddar Grits Quiche

For Christmas this year, for just Josh and I, I decided to try something different for my Christmas morning breakfast.  Breakfast after opening presents is pretty much my favorite thing ever, so it always has to be something epic.  Normally I do Wivesaver Breakfast, but I thought I would switch it up.  I am a huge Quiche fan, I have tried Quiche in different countries, homemade, different fillings, crust, no crust and when I saw this one with baked grits as the crust, I HAD to try it.  Grits are one of both me and Josh's favorite breakfast foods (funny probably 7 years ago neither of us had tried them) so it was a no brainer.  Doing all the steps correctly takes a little time, and it is NOT light on the calories,  but so worth it... If I do say so myself, the best Quiche I've ever had.


Ingredients

  • 6 thick slices of bacon
  • 2 1/4 cups milk
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup uncooked stone ground grits
  • 2 tsp salt, divided
  • 1 tsp black pepper, divided
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
  • 6 large eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups half and half
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/3 cup sliced green onion



Directions
Step 1
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Heat bacon in a skillet or in the oven until crispy. Drain and crumble. 
  • Transfer 2 tsp of bacon drippings to a saucepan.
Step 2
  • Bring drippings, milk and butter to a boil over medium heat.
  • Gradually stir in grits, 1tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper; whisking constantly, 15 minutes or until very thick.
  • Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
  • Stir in 1 cup of cheese, let stand 10 minutes. 
  • Stir in 1 egg, spread into a 9 inch springform pan coated in cooking spray (I just used a ceramic pie plate).


Step 3
  • Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until set and browned.
  • Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cup cheese over warm grits. spreading to edges.
  • Let stand 15 minutes. 

Step 4
  • Reduce oven temp to 325.
  • Combine half and half, cream, onions and remaining 5 eggs, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper.
  • Pour over grits and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
  • Place pan on foil lined baking sheet.
Step 5
  • Bake at 325 for 1 hour 15 mins or until lightly browned and just set. 
  • Let stand 20 minutes.
  • Run a sharp knife around the edges of of Quiche and remove sides of pan or if using pie plate, just cut into pieces).
  • enjoy!
I forgot to mention that I only made half the recipe.  Half is enough for 3 people.  I also did all but step 4 and 5 Christmas Eve and the rest in the morning to save time.







1 comment: