Image Map

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Birthdays and Wine

I may be back stateside after my awesome trip back to Saskatchewan, but that doesn't mean that there isn't still plenty to blog about!  I always try to be home for my mom's birthday, and two days before her's is our family friend Kenny's.  We had Ken and Susan out to the Landing for supper and cake and a few drinks on the Saturday before mom's actual birthday, and just like last year, we had a great time. 



ON Mom's actually birthday, we headed down to Maple Creek, our old stomping' grounds.   Our main purpose for the trip waste go to one of my favorite places in the world, the Cypress Hills Winery.  We ended up stopping in Maple Creek for lunch, at a restaurant we had just recently heard of, The Inn at Redmond House.  Turns out it was a delicious choice.  Mom had Cream of cauliflower soup and a sausage and sauerkraut sandwich, and I had a delicious Salmon and Avocado salad.   This restaurant was the 2013 winner of several awards and I can't wait to come back to spend a night and have Saskatchewan's best steak!  





The winery is just a short drive from Maple Creek into the start of the Cypress Hills, were I lived for the first few years of my life.  I may be biased, but it really is one of the most beautiful places in the world.  When we arrived, it was just the same as I remembered.  Rolling hills, green grass and a beautiful blue sky like only Saskatchewan has.





The actual restaurant and winery, are always perfectly manicured, with gorgeous, welcoming shrubbery and flowers.  After a nice walk of the vineyard and the grounds, we headed for the gift shop, of course our favorite part.  They have the cutest trinkets and wine related treats.




We then went for the tasting room.   Kyle, our pourer, let us try each one, and I got to try a few that are new since the last time, I was there, about two years ago.  The rhubarb mix, and the Spring, I had never tried and were delicious!  Honestly, this is some of the best, and most unique wine I have ever tried.











We had a great afternoon, and on the way home, we got a Geocache near the town of Gull Lake.  It was quite the adventure, and it almost ended with a double trip to the ER after sliding down a hill, in our bare feet through a giant ant hill.  We also stopped at one of my favor restaurants in Swift Current, Original Joes for supper with Grandma Jean.  I had my first Caesar in a year and remembered why this is my favorite drink in life.  I also Instagramed it and could win a trip to Vegas, so it was even better.  


Well, I should finish up  and get ready for my brother in laws wedding today!  Everything is perfect and I can't wait to finally have a sister!



No comments:

Post a Comment