Image Map

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The New Whitney

I can't believe it has been two months now, but before we left to go to Saskatchewan, I needed to get out and decided to see what all the hype was about at the "New" Whitney Museum of American Art.  The museum reopened on May 1 of this year at its new location in the Meatpacking District in Manhattan.  Originally, the museum was located on the Upper West Side from 1931-2014.  In October of 2014 it closed and relocated to the new location.  The museum was founded by Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, a wealthy NYC socialite and art patron.  The museum houses over 21 000 works of art by over 3000 artists in it's permanent collection alone. 

The building itself is a complete work of art, designed by Renzo Piano and has one of the best views of Manhattan, the Hudson River and The Highline.


ON my way into the museum I spotted one of my favorite actors, Jonny Lee Miller!


I have included some of my favorite pieces of art that I saw while touring the museum, along with some very "interesting" pieces.













The view from the top deck of the building.



I can see my house from here!





The Highline below.








































































Absolutely LOVE these chairs on the main outdoor area.




The Whitney is another fantastic NYC Museum for any art lover, so check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment