Image Map

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Healthy, High Protein Snacking

Since we have been living in Maryland, I have been going to the gym more than I ever have before.  I feel better and having a gym right in our complex makes it so much easier to make myself go.  Because I have been working out so much I am always on the lookout for high protein snacks and meals for after my workouts and throughout the day.  I usually have a smoothie with Kale, Chia Seeds, vegan protein powder, frozen fruit and unsweetened coconut milk.  The smoothie is great, but sometimes I just want to sit on the floor and stretch and just have something easy.  I was making my own beef jerky for a while (it's soooo good), but recently I discovered that I have high cholesterol so I have almost completely cut out red meat from my diet (minus a big juicy burger or steak once a month!)  I've never been a trail mix or granola fan, BUT, I have recently fallen in love with nuts.  Specifically walnuts, pecans, almonds, pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds).  I also found a great website with tons of high protein snack ideas and a lot of info about what I should be eating and why, as well some some delicious recipes.  The best part is that I can actually buy all of the delicious snacks on their website.



After a work out, protein is so important for your body because it helps repair the muscles that you are breaking down during a work out.  There are so many choices of high protein post workout foods, and you need to figure out what is the best for you and compliments how you exercise.  While you may still want to ave a shake or smoothie after, healthy, high protein snacking throughout the day is still a great way to get that essential protein in.  

Here is some snacking info to help you out.  

The website has given me ideas for snacks at other times too, like road trips and for weight loss, because it is so easy to grab some Dunkin's or a bag of chips!

Making small changes in your life doesn't have to be horrible and can make a big difference in how you feel and your body will thank you!




No comments:

Post a Comment