Image Map

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

*Recipe* Vegetable Tortilla Stew



For my birthday, one of my presents was Chrissy Tiegen's Cravings Cookbook.  I read through it and flagged a bunch of recipes and then honestly kinda forgot about it.  Until last week when I remembered it and got it out and got a bunch of ingredients for the recipes.  I planned out this Vegetable Tortilla Stew for Meatless Monday and it turned out pretty awesome and really wasn't as much work as I thought it was going to be.  I do have to say that unless you like spicy I would probably either cut out the Jalapeño or half of the cayenne and chili powder.  It wasn't too hot for us but I can see how it would be for some people.  Chrissy prides herself in being able to handle her heat haha.  Josh actually loved this, and you would never know there is no meat in it.  I think his favorite part though is the homemade tortilla strips. Yum!  Oh and after I put this on Instagram, Chrissy liked it!  I was pretty pumped my girl crush liked my photo!  

Ingredients

For the stew:
-2 TBSP vegetable oil
-1 large onion diced
-1 large green bell pepper diced
-1 large jalapeño, diced
-2 TBSP minced garlic
-2 TBSP chili powder
-1 TBSP ground cumin
-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
-salt and pepper
-4 cups chicken broth
-2 cans diced tomatoes in juice
-2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed (I used one can black beans and one can kidney)
-1 cup cooked rice

For the tortilla strips:
-2 cups vegetable oil for frying
-6 corn tortillas
-salt

For serving:
-handful roughly chopped cilantro leaves
-1 avocado, sliced
-crumbled or shredded cheddar cheese





Directions

Making the stew:
-In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
-Add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeños and cook, stirring until the onion is translucent and a little bit golden about 10 minutes.
-Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, about 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. 
-Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, and beans and bring to a boil.
-Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
-Add rice and cook until stew gets thick, about 15 minutes more.
-Season with more spices to taste if needed.


Making the tortilla strips:
-fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of oil and heat over medium high heat. 
-Stack the tortillas on top of each other and cut into thin strips.  
-Test the oil by dropping one strip in.  If it sizzles immediately you are good to go.
-A small handful at a time, put strips in the oil and fry until crisp, one or two minutes. 
-Remove with slotted spoon, drain on paper towel and salt them good.




 To serve:
-Divide stew among bowls and garnish with cilantro, cheese, avocado and tortilla strips to taste.






No comments:

Post a Comment