Image Map

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

*Recipe* Creamy, Chunky Mushroom Soup


I really don't actually LOVE mushrooms.  I like them cooked certain ways and in certain things, but they are not my favorite food.  When I saw this recipe in my "Chrissy Teigen's Cravings" cookbook I thought, what the heck, can't hurt to try it and I've never really made mushroom soup from scratch (since I don't really like mushrooms).  I also really like the fact that there is no actual cream or milk or anything in the recipe (only as much delicious butter as you want to add after!)  This soup turned out pretty amazing.  It is so delicious and flavorful and actually seemed to get even better after a couple days in the fridge.  Seriously, this is sooooo good!  

Ingredients

-1/2 stick of unsalted butter plus 4-6 pats for serving
-1 small onion, finely chopped
-6 cloves garlic, minced
-3lbs assorted mushrooms, finely chopped (I would suggest using a food processor to chop them, 3 lbs of mushrooms is a lot, it took me like an hour.
-1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tbsp dried plus more for garnish.
-salt and pepper to taste
-2 cups low sodium chicken broth plus more if needed.

                            

Directions

-In a large soup heat the butter over medium heat.
-Add the onion and cook, stirring until softened, about 8 minutes.
-Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.


-Add the mushrooms, thyme, 2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms release their water and shrink until half their size, about 10 minutes.
-Add the broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the mushrooms are super tender and the soup thickens slightly, 15-20 minutes.


-Puree half the soup (about 3 cups) in a blender or food processor until smooth then stir it back in to the pot.
-Thin with additional broth if necessary, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
-Serve in mugs or bowls and top each with a pat of butter and some thyme. 


 Thanks to my WCW, Chrissy Teigen for another awesome recipe.

1 comment: