Image Map

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Mason Jar Lid Pumpkins

So I have been looking for some new crafts to do, and since I love Fall and Fall decorations, I have been on the look out for a few easy and cute ideas.  When I was in Saskatchewan, I saw these adorable little pumpkins at the Fall into Christmas Tradeshow and knew I had to try them out when I got home.  The concept is really easy, just Mason jar lids (about $5 for 12 at Walmart) tied together and then you can then add any embellishments that you want. The biggest trick to these was that I chose to make the lids rustic looking, and had to figure out how to rust the lids.  Not necessary, but I really liked the vintage farm look.  I have seen some that had the lids not rusted and fully painted orange, which were also cute.  I made one, (see third photo) that I just used some orange spray paint on the top of the pumpkin, over top of the rust.  Below I have the instructions for these cute little guys, even though they are pretty easy and open to interpretation. I also have the instructions for rusting the lids, this can be used on most metal items that you may want to rust as well.  You may also be wondering what you do with the left over sealers for the lids.  Stay tuned for a cute christmas craft using these! 




How to rust the Lids

Materials and tools
  • Sandpaper- 100 grit or higher. 
  • plastic bin
  • gloves
  • safety goggles
  • plastic spray bottle
  • white vinegar
  • hydrogen peroxide
  • table salt
  • acrylic spray sealer (optional)


Step one:

Prepare the work area: 
If you can do this outside, it will turn out better.  Direct sunlight will speed up the oxidation process (this is very true, I did one set outside on a hot day, and one set in the dark garage and the ones I did outside changed quicker and looked better). Also, if you do it outside, you won't have to worry about the fumes. Regardless, work in a well ventilated area. 

                         

Step two:

Sand the Metal with the fine grit sandpaper:
Lightly sand the entire surface of the lids to take of the protect coating. It doesn't take much, I spent probably 30 seconds on each one.  Place the lids in the plastic bin.

Step three: 

Spray vinegar on the metal and wait:
Put on your gloves and safety goggles and then pour about 1 cup of vinegar in to the spray bottle (how much you need will depend on how many lids you are rusting) and generously spray the lids. Let them air dry, preferably in the sun for about 10 minutes. If you have no sun, maybe leave them longer, like 20 minutes. You should see some rust start to form. 


Step four:

Apply the Peroxide, Vinegar, Salt solution:
Pour 2 cups of Peroxide, four tablespoons of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of salt into the spray bottle and shake it until the salt is dissolved. Spray the lids all over the lids (the outsides are most important for this craft. The peroxide should begin to bubble and rust should start tot form immediately. Let them air dry in the sun again for a few minutes, if they need a second of third treatment, go ahead and do that.  Once they are to your liking, rinse them off, just to get the smell and dried salt off. 



Step five (optional)
Spray with a sealer:
If desired, spray the lids with a sealer.  The only real reason to do this is so that he rust doesn't rub off on anything it might come in contact with.


Now for actually making the pumpkins. 

I just took the lids and stacked them together in my hand, they naturally start to form a circle.  I then take some twine and tie it around the middle and then fan the lids out to complete the circle. 





I really love the idea of using a cinnamon stick or two (depending on the size) but you can use anything that works. 



Again, these are so open to interpretation and creativity. But I really like some Raffia and burlap ribbon tied around and then a brighter festive ribbon to complete the look. 


Again, this is the one I did with the paint on the top.  It is still sort of subtle, but really makes you realize what it is if you didn't already know.



Again, the completed product, so festive and fun!









1 comment: