Image Map

Monday, November 11, 2013

Never Forget.


So, as I sit in a foreign country, far away from home, I can't help but miss the freedoms and safety that I have at home.  Not that I feel very unsafe here, but there is always that thought in the back of my mind that at any time, there could be civil unrest, terrorism or even a crime against me that could go unpunished because of politics or the fact that I am a woman in a strange land that is still very much male dominant.    I have grown to appreciate Canada more than I ever thought possible while being abroad, even just in the US.  Familiarity is gone, and even the thought of going to the doctor sends me in to panic mode.  I miss being able to go, show my Saskatchewan health card, or most places just give my name and being able to see a doctor without hesitation or the thought that I have to worry about paying for it.  We do have very good healthcare through Josh's work, but still getting a bill in the mail or having to give credit card info before I go in scares the hell out of me.  I guess I have just come to appreciate the freedoms that I have that most people in the world do not.  Even being able to write this blog, without having to worry about saying something that could get me arrested or my hand chopped off.

As Monday, November 11th approached, I have been thinking a lot about how much I have to be thankful for and whom I owe that thanks to.  It is easy to get swept up in our everyday lives and forget about the fact that not so long ago, and still to this day, our family and friends were and are fighting for all of these freedoms.  I have been thinking about the fact that families were torn apart, and young men and women were sent to foreign countries to defend what we now take for granted.  I have also been thinking about the people that now choose to go to these countries, some my friends, to keep making sure that we are safe at home.   None of us can ever thank these people enough.
As far as I know, November 11th has no significance here in Peru.  I have heard nothing of the sort and  I am quite sure it is not a holiday.  This is the second year in a row, and I actually think probably the only two years of my life that I have not participated in a Remembrance Day ceremony.  Last year I was on my way to Alaska and flying this entire day and even though it is Veteran's Day there I don't think it is celebrated quite as much it is back in Canada.  No holiday and no moment of silence or wearing of poppies as far as I know.  If any American readers can enlighten me, please do so as I don't think I have yet spent a Veteran's Day in the US.  I miss the Ceremony at CUC in Saskatoon, where thousands of people show up to pay their respects and the Ceremonies in Kyle, where most of the town either goes to the one at the school put on by the students or to the one at the hall.
Regardless of where you are, I hope everyone will at least try to do something to show their appreciation for everything that they have.  I know I will be wearing my poppy with pride for the day, and if I can find some sort ceremony online, I will be streaming it.  Even though I have to go somewhere with internet to do it!




Aside from Remembrance Day, I do have something to look forward. My dear friends and neighbours, Lyle and Shirley, from back on the farm have just arrived in Lima and I will be headed out shortly to see them.  Familiar faces are always a blessing!  Not to mention they are also bringing me my poppy and some much needed migraine medication (thanks mom!)  We are hoping I will be allowed to tag along on their city tour, which I have done a few times before but I never tire of the sites and the history lesson.
Everyone enjoy their day, and I urge you to take a moment today (11:11 would be best, but anytime will do) to think about everything you are thankful for, and the people that fought and the people that died so that you could have these things.  I know I will be!






No comments:

Post a Comment