Image Map

Monday, February 15, 2016

Our First Quick Trip into DC




We've been living in Maryland for almost a month now, and it has been cold and snowy the whole time unfortunately.  BUT, sometimes you just have to suck it up and get out.  So we decided to take the 30 minute drive into Washington, DC and take in some of the sites.  Like I said, it was cold, but we were bundled up to enjoy a few hours of wandering around and checking out some of the main points of interest.  I'm not going to lie, I haven't done the research on the history of everything yet, but I am sure most of you will recognize most of the buildings and memorials that we made it to.  We will be making more trips in I'm sure, once the weather warms up and my face doesn't hurt while walking around!

This was a beautiful home that we saw on the drive in.  There are some huge, old, gorgeous brick homes on the drive in.  


The view of the Capitol.


Another cool home.


Our first stop was a restaurant I saw on Diner's Drive Ins and Dives a few months ago called the Tune in.  They were on the show for a sandwich that looked amazing, but when I actually saw the sandwich in person I knew there was no way I could ever eat.  So, I got the Tune Inn Burger and drunken gravy fries and Josh got a Beer Battered Deep Fried Burger.  So delicious and it was such an awesome little Dive Bar.





The Capitol Building is being restored I assume.  Still really cool.


The Dwight Eisenhower Executive Office Building.  So beautiful.



Next was the obvious, the White House!  It was a lot further way from the street than they make it look on TV but still really cool to see it.




The Washington Monument, another iconic one.  I actually was trying to get a picture of a bunch of birds with it in the background but only one little guy stuck around.




The view of the Lincoln Memorial and Reflecting Pool from the Washington Monument.  Unfortunately the Reflecting Pool is drained for the winter.


At the WW2 Memorial.  It is massive and an amazing.




Josh and the Maine memorial.



Closer up at the Lincoln Memorial.


Empty Reflecting Pool.


"You are Here"  thanks for the tip.




Even on this cold, windy day there were a ton of people out here.





The Korean War Monument.  Such a beautiful tribute.


This wall is covered in the faces of soldiers.  Really hard to get a picture of but really amazing!






The Vietnam War Memorial.  These are the most lifelike statues ever.  You can see the wall with all the names in the background and a lot of geese.




We started to walk back after to the truck as the sun was starting to go down and it was cold!  And the parking was running out on the truck too.  We walked by the Federal Reserve building on the way back.


And the Department of the Interior.  I have to also mention, I was like two blocks away from ym lawyers office.  I should have went over to meet them, and then have them come with me to USCIS to get my bloody Green Card!


The Simon Bolivar statue that is currently badly in need of repair.


The Octagon Museum.  No idea what it is but it sounds fun!


Like I said, this was a quick trip, and I can't wait to come back in when it's warmer and do some exploring.  It was really cool though to see what we did, some of the most iconic monuments in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment