Image Map

Monday, November 28, 2016

*Recipe* Ham and Corn Chowder

So, I made a ham for Thanksgiving, and with two of us, even an 8 LB ham was a bit much.  I decided to use up some of the extra ham in some soup.  Normally I make my Ham and Lentil Soup, but I decided I'd mix it up with a creamy soup for a change.  I paired the chowder with a grilled cheese and, honestly, it was one of the best meals I've had in a long time!



Ingredients

-2 Celery Ribs, diced
-1/2 cup onion, diced
-1/2 tbsp garlic, minced


-2 tbsp butter
-2 tbsp flour 
-3 cups milk (I used 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk and 1 cup light cream and it was plenty thick.  You can use whatever kind of milk you want though)


1/2 cup chicken stock
-2 cups cooked ham, diced
-1 cup potato, diced and lightly cooked (I cooked mine for about 4 minutes in the microwave, but they could be boiled as well)


-1 can kernel corn
-1 can cream corn


-1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
-2 tsp (or to taste) pepper 

Directions 

-In a large saucepan, sauté the onion, celery and garlic in the butter until softened.



-Stir in flour until blended, then slowly add the milk.
-Bring to a boil, stirring until thickened, about 2 minutes.
-Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
-Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until heated through. 



thanks to food.com for the inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment