Image Map

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Highline NYC

I had been wanting to visit the Highline since last summer, but for some reason never got the chance to check it out until this Spring.  I had been holding off, knowing that the longer I waited, the more beautiful it would be, but finally I couldn't wait any longer.  So finally in mid May Nicole and I headed in to see what it was all about.  you can check out her blog about the day here.  

The Highline was repurposed from an old rail line that sat unused for decades and was scheduled to be torn down.  Thanks to some innovative New Yorkers, it was turned into a gorgeous park filled with trees, flowers, art and some of the most gorgeous views of the city and the Hudson.

The High Line Park uses the disused southern portion of the West Side Line running to the Lower West Side of Manhattan. It runs from Gansevoort Street – three blocks below 14th Street – in the Meatpacking District, through Chelsea, to the northern edge of the West Side Yard on 34th Street near the Javits Convention Center. An unopened spur extends above 30th Street to Tenth Avenue. Formerly, the West Side Line went as far south as a railroad terminal to Spring Street just north of Canal Street, however, most of the lower section was demolished in 1960, with another small portion of the lower section being demolished in 1991. (source)

Part of the Highline opened in 2009, followed by the second part in 2011 and then the third finally in the fall of 2014.  For anyone that remembers, it has been featured in the movie "I am Legend" and one of my favorite shows, "Girls".  

So enjoy!  You will notice that I actually have visited it 3 times in the last month, but more on that when you get to the pictures.
















One of the most gorgeous murals I have ever seen.









Cherry trees.  They seem to be my theme for my last several blogs!



A lovely Empire State Building view.



The Statue of Liberty in the background if you look closely.



You can almost see my building from here.  The Hoboken Train Station is the clock tower building near the left hand side.



My second visit was with my darling cousin Andrea from my hometown, currently living in Berlin.  She is in NYC for business but came in a few days early to spend some time with Josh and I.  This time everything was much more beautiful and green.  Also, there are several art exhibits out.



 Einstein Mural.



We got some of the best popsicles ever at People's Pops, located about halfway down the Highline.






And... my last trip was with Josh, as he had never been either.  I think everyone that i went with loved it and I know I do.  It is such a unique addition to the city.





No comments:

Post a Comment