Image Map

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Sports Weekend Update

Saturday afternoon Josh and I hopped on the PATH (the NJ subway) to Harrison, NJ to Redbull Stadium for my very first American soccer game.  Josh went once while I was in Canada this summer but, having never lost my love of Soccer since being in Peru, I was really excited.  The New York Redbulls were set to place the Toronto FC, which made it even better because I love watching U.S vs Canada games and hearing the Canadian national anthem kicking things off.  We had left early to have dinner over in Harrison before the game and we went back to the place Josh had went, Catas, a somewhat Latino place in a sort of shady area about a mile from the stadium.  When we walked in we were warmly greeted by some hardcore Redbull fans with cheers and a very friendly doorman named Cheech (I think).  

I ordered what i thought was a pint of Sangria, but as you can see when I got it, it turned out to be a quart of Sangria, in a container with a lid.  It still tasted great though!  We ordered a spicy pork loin sandwich and I went to get a supporters scarf.  Apparently the supporters are the Vikings.


We walked back toward the stadium, grabbed a $13 beer and found our seats.  Not too shabby, and the Toronto team was warming up in front of us.




We entered a twitter contest, show your game face.  Pretty scary right? haha


The Redbulls and the kids with the parachute at the opening of the game.


The celebrations after the red bulls first goal.  I was so impressed with the supporter section at the end, they played drunks and jumped up and down the whole game just like in South America.



Keegan Bradley from Toronto FC (one of my favorite US players in World Cup) kicking.



The ned of the game, Redbulls won!  The sign was supposed to say "WE ARE NEW YORK'S RED AND WHITE"  Apparently the "We didn't want to be seen."


I really enjoyed the game, and now that the season is coming to the end I am kind of sad I never made it to more games but we were so busy.  Oh well, always next year and more cities!

Sunday, we thought we would go over for a walk to Hoboken.  Josh had never been all the way down to the end of the city, so we thought we would go down there, then find a place to watch the Bears vs. Falcons game.  It was an absolutely gorgeous fall day, although it was so hot in my bunny hug that it didn't feel like fall!  Check out some of the views.  Love!



I have walked by the Frank Sinatra Memorial a dozen times, but for some reason have never noticed the plaque.  This is so cool to me that this is where he was born and raised.  One of the most iconic singers in the world from little 'ol humble Hoboken.




We settled on Maxwell's Tavern for football and dinner.  It was quiet and had actual football fans, not shrieking college kids like most other hoboken bars so it was fantastic.  They also had this, a steak sandwich and Maxwell's cheesy fries, essentially poutine with a thick layer of melted cheese on top.  So good!


The Bears won the game and we had doe great food and bear.  It was a great sports filled weekend and some (probably fleeting) gorgoues fall weather.  See y'all soon with Fab Fridays! xo

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a lot of fun! Live sporting events are great! I would love to live in NYC!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete